Piccolo Hotel
Via Montecristo, 7 - 58043
Castiglione della Pescaia (GR)
Tel. 0564.937081 - Fax0564.932566
Cell
. 338.8625775
Num. invernale 050.563135

info@hotel-castiglione.com

Clicca per ingrandire
Castiglione della Pescaia
Castiglione della Pescaia is an ancient small Village overlooking the sea, between Punta Ala and Marina di Grosseto. The ancient part is a balcony on the Tyrrhenian sea. It hosts a tourist harbour that offers daily excursions toward the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago. Castiglione della Pescaia boasts ancient origins: the first traces of population in this zone go back to approximately sixty thousand years ago, while the first urban settlement is located at Vetulonia, the ancient city that the Etruscans founded near the Prile lake (disappeared by now). The Romans instead founded the village of Salebrone, famous for the mild weather, the lake abounding in fish and the outskirts rich of game. After the fall of the Roman Empire and the barbarian incursions, in 962 Castiglione was ceded to Pisa by Otto the 1st of Saxony, emperor of Germany. Pisa took advantage of its wealth and disregarded the sanding-up of the harbour and of the Prile lake waters that, becoming stagnant, caused crescents malarial epidemics. Castiglione became Commune independent around 1200 but during the century after some of its territories were ceded to Pisa and Siena. In 1404 the General Council of Castiglione decided to place the town under the protection of Florence. Under the Medicis all the tuscan coasts knew a period of partial revival and welfare. The tourist vocation of Castiglione borns in the sixties with the settlement of Riva del Sole. For the quality of the seawater and of the beaches, for the care of the environment Castiglione is considered an exclusive tourist destination and has been awarded in 2005, 2006 and 2007 with the “five sails” of Legambiente.
Diaccia Botrona
Are parties of the provincial natural reserve of Diaccia Botrona the zone “paludosa”, the coastal “tombolo” as well as the pine forest “retrodunale” (behind the dunes). It is about a vast paludous environment, an average depth of 30-40 cm, which communicates indirectly with the sea by the intermediaries of drains. Thus constituting a kind of small holding to the interior of a zone salt works and wet of 120 km2, partly stagnant water (lake of Prile). With the progressive closing of the “tombolo”, which separated it from the sea, it was thus transformed in fen and was trove gradually asset with the roofs of the rivers “Bruna” and “Ombrone”. In order to reach the Natural reservation, one has to follow the indications for the Clodia Island and the Casa Rossa (Red House). The environment is very evocative and rich of feathered game. In the park (free access) it is possible to admire: white herons, red herons, ducks, marsh harriers and stilts.
Parco della Maremma
The Regional Natural Park of the Maremma has been founded in 1975 but, notwithstanding its reduced dimensions (approximately 10.000 hectares) and the few years existence, it has become a point of reference for an always greater number of persons. The Maremma Park received the diploma of European Park in 1993, conferred by the European Council. The Park’s visit will surely be a pleasant and formative experience, but it is well to keep in mind that a single visit could, in some cases, be disappointing for expectations often too exaggerated compared with the real possibilities offered by the short time at disposal; you should remember that it is not a zoo, the animals are free and not at your disposal. The visit of the Park is only possible on foot; the access to the routes is only via Alberese or via Talamone. For the routes starting from Alberese the access is normally possible on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and on holidays. However, for any information concerning the timetables and the modalities of the visits it’s recommended to contact the Visits’ Centre of the Park.
San Galgano
The complex composed by the Eremo or Rotonda di Montesiepi and by the ruins of the great “Circestense” Abbey of San Galgano, is one of most evocative ones that can be found in Tuscany. In the Rotonda of Montesiepi you can find the sword of Saint Galgano inserted in a rock. The abbey of San Galgano and the hermitage of Montesiepi have been edified in the valley of the Merse river, between the medieval villages of Chiusdino and Monticiano, in the province of Sienna. Easily accessible coming from Florence, just borrowing motorway FI-SI to the exit of San Lorenzo Merse, then continuing towards Monticiano. You will find on the road all the tourist indications necessary to join the abbey. For in love ones with the nature and if time allows it to you, while leaving the motorway at Sienna and while following the SS73 which leads to San Galgano, you will enjoy a landscape of a single beauty. And just there, between 1182 and 1185, the Rotonda of Montesiepi was built, over the hut on the hill where San Galgano spent his last year of life. The Rotonda of Montesiepi was originally the grave of the Saint, who was buried at the north of his own sword, as if he would watch Chiusdino through the entry. The construction of the great Abbey down the hill begun only on 1220 (or 1218?). The construction works lasted until 1268, when it got officially consecrated by the Bishop of Volterra Alberto Solari. Then there were one hundred years of great splendour, until 1364, followed by the slow decline due to the unfortunate Commendam’s practice (in the specific case the bestowal to one person - the commendatory - of an ecclesiastical benefit to the aim of the usufruct theunearned incomes without none of the annexed charges. A fact over every other: in 1550 the Commendatory Girolamo Vitelli arrived to the point of selling (after the jewels and who knows what else) the lead roof of the Abbey. Despite some trials to restore the convent by the end of 1789, after that the Rotonda of Montesiepi was promoted to Parish church, the great abbey was definitively desecrated and left to ruin. While the Rotonda of Montesiepi with its sword in the rock takes us back to the legend of king Arthur, the great Abbey with its sacred geometry has got other surprises for us, both "musical" and "Egyptian”. Perhaps the good Circestensi monks of San Roberto of Molesme and of Saint Bernardo of Chiaravalle knew far more than what they have left in written form.
Vetulonia
Vetulonia is an ancient Etruscan city that gave to Rome the lictor symbols: the bunches and the axe. Vetulonia touched the maximum of its splendour between the VII and VI c. a. d. and still conserves many memories of its ancient power. After the splendour of the Etruscan period, Vetulonia declined, and in 1181, the Castle of Colonna was built, born out of the need for fortifications in order to defend the population. Just some stretches of the impressive Etruscan walls can be seen today, in addition to an Etruscan necropolis situated close to the actual village. Among the graves one can visit the Diavolino grave and that of Petrera, which can both be seen following the road to Buriano. In the village, an archaeological museum with valuable finds can be visited, it will open as soon as the restoration jobs are completed. One can also enjoy a splendid panorama thanks to the inclination of the hills.
Tirli
Tirli is immersed between oaks and chestnut trees, and enjoys an exceptional climate rising to 450 m. over the sea level and being exposed to the sea breeze. The first settlements go back to the presence of woodmen and shepherds and the foresters tradition is still very rooted in the inhabitants. Evocative for its alleys, the village is dominated by a convent fortress, build around 1500 by the Agostini friars; here the population would have found a shelter escaping from the assaults of the Saracen pirates.
Buriano
The village, dominated by a castle, has got ancient origins, perhaps roman, or lombardian following other sources. Its splendour reached its top during the first three centuries of this millennium. The Romanesque church has its bell built-in bell and conserves a relic of Saint Guglielmo, who found shelter in the "Romitorio". Every second Sunday after Eastern, Saint Guglielmo is celebrated with an evocative procession that starts in Buriano and goes through the woods up to the Romitorio. In this occasion, the so called “Pianeta” is carried from the small farm "la Badiola", a tissue stitched in gold and donated by the Granduchess of Tuscany Antonietta Maria in memory of her fall from horse.
Nelle vicinanze…
Massa Marittima
Ancient city, on a hill at 380 m over the sea level, approximately 15 Km from the Golfo del Sole. It is famous for its silver and copper mines, exploited until 1300, then reactivated from 1830 until 1970, and still keeps its medieval aspect. The Balestro del Girifalco, a contest between the crossbowmen of the different quarters of the City, is also a historical commemoration.
Grosseto
“Strong town. Not large, very bulwark and defended by six bastions and a rocca, with only two doors, one that watches the mainland, the other, from which it is exited towards the sea". With these words the Repetti opens the description of Grosseto in his Cartographic Dictionary of the Tuscany. A fortified city between Rome and Pisa, in 1138 it becomes an Episcopal centre acquiring therefore importance in the Maremma. Later on, it goes over to the Aldobrandeschi, then it is conquered by the Senese and in 1559 it goes over to the Medici. It follows several drainages for at least two centuries.